template

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Our week in review

This week was another busy week for my kinders.  We continue to learn our letters and this week it was L and F.  I find that this is review for some of my kids but there are still several who are just learning their letters and sounds.  As with each letter we make a letter book which has many of the kindergarten sight words in. These books are read at school and then go home into the kids reading treasure box.  We also made our F and L classbook.  For these books each child completes a page F is for..... They draw a picture and try to stretch out the word for spelling.  I collect all of these pages and make them into a classbook which stays in my classroom library during the school year and then goes home with one of my students at the end of the year.  Sorry for no pictures, I really have to get better at snapping pictures during the week.
We also started our Very Hungry Kindergartener book this week. Each month we complete another page for this book and at the end of the year I bind the books and send them home.  My 16 year old did this when he was a kindergartener and I loved watching his growth through the year as a author and illustrator.
Here is my link to the entire year of The Very Hungry Kindergartener.
We also introduced our first IB unit of the year.  This unit falls under How we express ourselves and we are learning about the 5 senses.  My kinders are really excited to explore with their five senses and we started by exploring popcorn.
I haven't started my math work stations yet, but the kids are really enjoying the time we spend each day on our calendar books.  I continue to introduce a variety of math activities so that when we move into work stations the activities will not be unfamiliar.
I'm pleased with how my kinders are adjusting to our busy schedule and continue to be active and involved learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment